Does your Mac work sometimes, surprisingly? Like your Mac keyboard does not work correctly, Mac turns off surprisingly, the battery does not charge accurately, and sometimes your Mac Bluetooth and Wifi stop working.
Well, these all are the symptoms of PRAM and SMC. Your problem will solve if you reset PRAM and SMC.
But the question is, what is PRAM and SMC? Let’s know about PRAM and SMC.
How to Reset SMC and PRAM on Your Mac
PRAM (Parameter Random Access Memory)
PRAM stores and keep your data safe when you turn off your Mac. Furthermore, it stores vital system info.
- Store display setting.
- Alarm clock setting.
- Store Speaker volume setting.
- Responsible for Time zone setting.
PRAM and SMC also answerable for storing system settings like :
- Clean disk cache.
- liable for double-click time
- It shows the message status
- Responsible for beep sound on your Mac.
PRAM is not used in the latest Mac. In modern Mac, Developers install NVRAM (non-volatile RAM) instead of PRAM. Using NVRAM, the user does not reset Mac if Mac starts acting weird. Furthermore, it is secure and never hurt your computer.
When you may need to reset SMC and PRAM on MacBook
If you are facing the given problems on your Mac, then resetting PRAM is very helpful for you.
- If your mouse stuck itself.
- If the Sound volume up and down itself.
- The display resolution was not changing.
- If you face the question mark icon.
- If your PC show wrong date, wrong time or time zone
How to Reset PRAM on Your Mac
Follow the easy step and reset PRAM happily.
- First of all, turn off your Mac.
- Hold the power button with P-R before the gray screen popup.
- Hold those buttons till your Mac reboots again.
- Now release the keys and allow your Mac to reboot manually.
- By logging back, you will able to adjust the time, time zone, and mouse speed.
- Now you allow your PRAM zap several times so that it is out in the clear.
When you have done the given steps, then you RESET PRAM on your MAC, fortunately.
Also Check: Viu App Download For Android, iOS and Windows PC
How to Reset SMC on your Mac?
Before we talk about SMC, let’s know something about SMC.
SMC (System Management Controller) is liable for important physical aspects of the Mac system. It is responsible for low-level functions on intel based Mac computers. It quickly fixed your Mac problems and reset SMC to its original setting. Let’s highlight what’s more SMC does.
- Manage system performance.
- Manage your computer power, fan, and light.
- Manage your Keyboard backlights.
- Control status indicator light (SIL) management.
- Control Battery status indicator lights.
- Responding to presses of the power button
We have discussed briefly that what SMC does. Now let’s talk about how we reset SMC?
But before you reset your Mac SMC. You need to know that your Mac battery is removable. If your Mac has a non-removable battery, then resetting the SMC is quite tricky.
Resetting SMC on MacBook and MacBook Pro
If you have use Macbook pro or Macbook Air, then you easily reset SMC on your Mac. Follow the given steps.
If the battery is removable:
- Shutdown your Mac.
- Now disconnect Magsafe plug from your Mac.
- Remove battery.
- Press the power button and free it after five seconds.
- After you have done the given procedure, Put the battery back and reconnect the Magsafe plug.
- Turn on your Mac.
- Congrats! Your SMC is reset.
If the battery is non-removable:
- Turn of your Mac.
- Now hold Shift+Control+Option and power button of your Mac at the same time for 10 seconds.
- Free keyboard keys.
- Hit the power button again to turn on your Mac.
- Now turn on again your Mac, Boom! You have reset SMC.
Try all these steps we hope it works but if you find any problem then Download CleanMyMac from the given link. This app solves your all issues in a few minutes.